As much as I think of myself as easy-going, I struggle like many others to deal with change. I like having my future mapped out in a list and ideas in fact I try to minimize the level of uncertainty in my life. My struggles with change has been an ongoing battle for years but became more difficult at the start of the world’s pandemic. Change is the law of life, Often times the hardest changes to understand and adjust to are the ones that are unexpected and out of control. Any life is a life of change. We experience transition in work and relationships, Changes in our physical health, mental health, and changes around the world. Like the global pandemic we are all dealing with. Sometimes change is expected while other times it comes suddenly and unexpectedly. Maybe it’s a disappointment or a wonderful surprise.
There are moments in our life when we look around and realize that everything is changing and we just don’t know how to control it. Everyone goes through changes in their lives, I have dealt with changes some good and some bad . If we can learn to leave with change We will lower the risk of depression, relationships will be more healthy, our minds and bodies will flourish. Luckily there are ways to adapt to change and even take advantage of it . I will share with you the five ways I Learned to deal with change.
1) Focus on your values instead of your fears. Remind yourself of what’s important. Reflecting on personal values helps us rise above the immediate threat. Don’t expect stability in whatever situation. instead of feeling personally attacked think of the good things life has offered you.
2) Give yourself a break in time of change. You may feel out of control, you may feel like your not living up to your expectations. Nothing says you have to function 100% all the time. Change is one of the greatest things about being human. Once I accepted that I couldn’t control some things changing, I became less anxious.
3) Be patient. It takes time to adapt to differences. trust the process. It takes a long time to adapt to change . Especially a negative change . Take for example the pandemic Covid-19. It is likely to be around for a long time, we must learn to be patient with the changes it’s bringing. I am not a patient person but I have learned to achieve it. Life may start one way and end another way.
4) Be part of the change . Adopt an attitude of anticipation and excitement. See change as an opportunity. See the positivity in the way forward. I was resistant to the changes in 2020 until I saw them as an opportunity to turn things around . See it as a growth and learning process.
5) find new meaning. Adapt to new realities, the key is to remember that change is everywhere and It may take away the outer things in your life. It doesn’t have to change who you are and what you have been working hard for. Find new ways to live with the change and new meanings to it .
It’s not so much that we are afraid of change or are so involved with our old ways, but it’s the place in between that we fear. Share with me your opinion on dealing with change in the comment section.