January 1 2020 marked the beginning of a new decade that many looked at with optimsm and a chance on a new lesson on life. Now only a few months into 2020 many are wondering if this year could get any worst. I wonder if what has happened so far could be a forbidding indicator of what is to come. 2020 has been and emotional draining year for me, with so many tragedies happening around the world and the personal adjustment I have had to make. I believe am not alone on these and feel like many feel the same way . And many like me have come to the conclusion that 2020 is a year worth canceling . Before going into my point I would like to give a recap of the events that have occurred around the world.
- Australian bush fire. More than half of Australia have been directly affected by bush fire crises including millions whose health were affected. This occurred January 9 2020 at the very start of the year.
- Taal volcano eruption in the Philippine which occurred January 12 2020. There were no immediate reports of casualties but there was major damage.
- The tragic death of Kobe Bryant on January 26 2020. Kobe one of the NBA’S all time greatest player was killed at age 41 in a helicopter crash with his 13 year old daughter and seven others.
- Earthquake in Turkey January 24 2020. About 1,607 where hospitalized.
- Devastating floods in Indonesia February 23 2020
- Locust swam in East Africa and south Asia. February 21 2020
- Gas plant explosion in Lagos Nigeria Friday June 5 2020.
- COVID-19 pandemic . The outbreak of COVID-19 is one 2020 calamity that has caused significant human suffering and global economic disruption. This pandemic is far from over and we are adopting new ways to live with the virus.
- The tragic death of Gorge Floyd a 46 year old African American . On may 25 2020 Floyd was killed in Minneapolis, Minnesota after a white police office knelt on his neck for almost 9 minutes. The killing of Floyd led to a protest for justice in all 50 states in the US and 18 other countries making it the greatest protest for justice in history
That’s a handful and we are only 6 months into 2020. I felt like my life was on hold when all these started. The tragedies don’t seem to stop and nothing seems to workout. The corona virus which kept us all home is still very much around and we are just learning new ways to survive it. I started thinking to myself, how do I escape from this? am I ready for what’s to come ? I was so ready to give up on this year then it hit me. what if 2020 isn’t worth canceling like we think, what if 2020 is really the year we been waiting for? A year so uncomfortable , so painful, so scary, so raw that it forces us to grow . A year that screams so loud finally awakening us . A year we finally accept the need for change. A year we are able to measure our strength and weakness, a year we learn to find happiness even in the worst moments of life.
I am no prophet but am here to tell you 2020 isn’t canceled, it’s just getting started. You got to make the best out of it and most importantly stay united through it. The world has slowed so that we can rediscover ourselves. Remember what doesn’t kill you , makes you stronger. I am open to conversation in the comment section. Tell me how 2020 has affected you and how this write up has helped you . I am open to criticism too. Be sure to come back for my next post and remember I have a documentary going live anytime.